Lost earnings after accident at work
    November 30, 2018

    Having an accident doesn’t just cause pain. It can have a serious effect on your livelihood. Our personal injury solicitors are experienced in calculating and proving lost earnings.

    It’s relatively simple if you are employed on a PAYE basis. We can use your payslips and P60s to work out what you were earning before the accident and then we can see what you lost while you were off work.

    If you’re a subcontractor in the building trade, the chances are you’re on a CIS certificate. We can use these to calculate your loss.

    As compensation payments are not taxable, you can only claim the net loss of the earnings you would have got after tax and NI payments. We can calculate this loss using payslips, CIS certificates and sometimes just your bank statements. If you don’t have the figures yourself, we can ask your employer or your agency for them.

    It’s more complicated if you’re self employed in a limited company or a partnership, in which case we need to use your annual accounts and sometimes we need help from accountants.

    Our personal injury solicitors can help you claim compensation for your lost earnings and your likely future earnings if it looks like your injury will have a long-term effect on your ability to earn.

    Our personal injury solicitors are experienced in helping injured people. We can help make sure you get the right amount of compensation to get your life back together.

    The information contained in this article is intended for general guidance only. It provides useful information but it is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice as the articles do not take into account specific circumstances. So do please Contact US for legal advice on the issues raised.