Had an accident in the last 3 years?
    October 26, 2018

    You’ve heard the adverts – why do they always ask if your accident was in the last 3 years? Because you can only bring a claim in the courts if you start the proceedings by the 3rd anniversary of the accident. This is to make sure claims are brought while witnesses still have some chance of remembering what happened and defendants aren’t left hanging on for years wondering if they will have to pay compensation.

    For children, it’s usually 3 years from their 18th birthday.

    There is also a long stop of 3 years from when you knew (or ought to have considered) that you might have a claim – this is how people who find out they have asbestos related diseases are able to bring claims decades after their employer was negligent.

    It’s 3 years for most accidents but not all. Proceedings involving accidents at sea or on water must generally be started in 2 years. It’s also 2 years if you have an accident on an aeroplane. These time limits apply to children too – they don’t get to wait till they are over 18.

    Claims for criminal injuries compensation must be started in 2 years.

    For those who are not capable of managing their own affairs there is effectively no limit if they were incapable at the time of the accident.

    Our personal injury solicitors can advise you on what the time limit is for your claim.

    Whatever the time limit for starting a claim, it is never a good idea to leave it to the last minute. Our personal injury solicitors need to start gathering evidence as soon as possible after the accident to give you the best chance of a successful claim.

    Don’t wait to see how bad your injuries might turn out to be. Call our personal injury solicitors now to find out if you might have a claim.

    The information contained in this article is intended for general guidance only. It provides useful information but it is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice as the articles do not take into account specific circumstances. So do please Contact US for legal advice on the issues raised.